Personal Profile – Dougal Nicol
“I’m a keen landscape photographer based in Edinburgh, although I hope that my adventures with my camera will take me far and wide. My passion for photography is broad but my real love is centred upon the urban environments of the places where we live, work, play and know so well. I feel there are so many opportunities to reflect upon the connections we have with the places we know through photography. My mind feels brimming with ideas and visualisations of images I want to try and capture; the problem for me at the moment is finding the time to get out there.
I relish the constant challenge photography presents; always learning new things and trying to make the most of the conditions available. I feel at my most content when exploring the world around me with my camera at the ready.”
- Never under estimate how many warm clothes you’ll need, even in summer – when the sun drops, so does the temperature.
- Plan in advance where you want to go for particular types of conditions, e.g. early morning mist or snow, and if possible scout out locations in advance so the perfect spot can be found and any problems identified. Then when your window of opportunity appears, you don’t waste time or miss out by not being in the ideal position.
- Take a length of rope with you for temporarily pulling unwanted foreground branches back out of shot.
Joined My Place in Print
- 2013 (Founding Member)
Essential Camera Kit
- Camera – Canon 5D Mark II
- Lenses – Canon 24mm-70mm, 70mm-200mm and 100-400mm
- Tripod – Manfrotto 055 series with geared head and arca swiss plate
- Other – Hitech filters
- Civil Engineering degree……not much use for photography!
- None to date
- A work in progress…..
LinksShop – Dougal Nicol Landscape Photography Personal Website – www.dougalnicol.com Facebook – @DougalNLP Twitter – @DougalNicol Instagram – Not yet available.